Oct 9, 2006

Stories for fun

Today's blog is about yarns on the printed page, the ones who inspire and entertain.

First of all let me tell you about some of fabulous books we've been reading for history for our family time. I am learning this stuff for the first time...anicent history with Mesopotamia and Egypt, Caldeaans and even back to the Flood. And it's fun, really! "In Search of Tutahnkamun" by Piero Ventura was a great overview of his life and so much fun for us all. It has pictures on every page and covers a snippet of his life and life in Ancient Egypt on each page. Very easy to get through, and covers it all well. Now I just wish that the King Tut exhibit would come back.

Next "Pyramid" by David McCaulay was so fun, we just could stop reading it! Yes, it's short...but I had planned to slowly do a little bit at a time. We just couldn't do it! It was so cool to see how they could really have been built...and the engineering! It was understandable! We were so inspired, my 9 y/o made a great model at the park the next dayl.

Then fiction works set at the end of time historical period have also been great. We're just getting to "Antony and Cleoplatra" but have recently finished "God King" by Joanne Williamson, a terrific book about Egypt after its glory days. Although it is fiction, it gave us a great picture of Egyptian life for it's rulers, and this was in a time when Kush, the land to the south, had conquered it and taken over Egypt by making it all one big 'Egypt'.

Now for the adult stuff. Not history for the sake of understanding our past, but for the continued entertainment of this adult mom:
Of course you have heard of Sherlock Holmes. But, did you know that he was real? OK, not really. However, a series of mysteries by Laurie King takes the character and gives him new life by having our 15 year old female protagonist meet him and come under his tuteledge. Sound silly? Preposterous? I thought so too. Then I obeyed my mother (always wise) when she said I HAD to read it. I liked it. Now I want to know if you liked it too. Dumb premiss done right?

No comments: