Jun 12, 2009

"Dyed in the Wool"

I bought some of the Knit Picks Bare, a 100% Merino DK weight which I planned to dye with some friends. We never got around to it, possibly because I couldn't commit to a color choice, not knowing what I would make out of the yarn. Each of my two skeins of this stuff might make a nice baby gift so I thought I'd make a boy scheme and a girl one. This is the boy color scheme:
It's a darkish red and a bright orange. I washed the yarn in warm soapy water and rinsed. Then I put two pots on my stove and put several packages of Kool-Aid in each with lots of warm water.I stuck the yarn into both, more in the red and then that top part between pots kept needing more color, so I'd move it into one and then the other. The heat was on, until almost boiling. The kool-aid disappeared from the water and attached itself to the yarn. The water was pretty clear when i took the yarn out. And here it is drying on the front porch. Kool-Aid . Nice.

5 comments:

km said...

I bet it smells wonderful too. How many packets of KA did you use? And what flavor is the Dark Red?

Tammy said...

Yay!!! Now you've inspired me. :)

Free Range Chick said...

It looks so fun and easy. The skein looks great.

Angelika said...

Looks great and I bet it smells good too.

Laura said...

That's a great dye-job! I love the colors!