Jul 18, 2008

Big News


Many of you have known about the new turn our family is taking. For the rest of you, we are changing things in a big way! DH is leaving his job with the fire dept. (!!!) Then he'll train for a year to take his private pilot license up to a commercial (and instrument rating etc) until he is a capable commercial pilot. Then another year of airframe and powerplant school to learn to fix everything on an airplane. From there, he plans to join with an agency like Mission Aviation Fellowship to fly planes for them.

So, for the next two years the whole family will be in the St Louis area while John does the training. From there, serving overseas. Whew!

Why? Well, it started out with "why not?" We have the means and the desire to go...to help people, to reach out of our safety bubble in suburbia and follow the Lord in touching people who are hurting in isolated places. As we looked into it, realizing that God had put the desire there long ago for each of us, and brought us carefully here to this decision, we have become firm in our plans. Our kids are even on board, and we are eager to see how they will be changed by this adventure. And yes, it is an adventure which is big...really big. We imagine that we will be somewhere overseas in about 2-3 years, maybe Africa or Indonesia...who knows?!

Prayer requests:

A good family to rent our house

A home to rent in in the St Louis area

Strength and energy to get it all done

Humble hearts as we embark on this Journey...

10 comments:

Lydee said...

wow! big changes! i hope everything goes smoothly and well. look forward to reading about your journeys.

km said...

It's amazing what God has called you to. I can only imagine the blessings you'll receive from these experiences and the blessings that you'll be to those around you. You are in my prayers. If/when you start sending a prayer team letter, I'd like to be apart of that.

Brad Rhoads said...

Hi!

My wife,Susan, and I are new missionaries with MAF, Learning Technologies (http://www.maflt.org).

I just wanted to encourage you guys to hang in there. I truly believe that the desire to go is largely what amounts to the call to go.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest, if we do not give up (Galatians 6:9).

God's Love,

Brad
brhoads@maf.org

Anonymous said...

Wow - SO exciting! I will add you to my list of missionaries to pray for as you begin your journey!

Tammy said...

I know you are going to be an amazing blessing to the lives you touch as you follow the Lord's leading. And I know He'll comfort all of us who will miss you so much! :)

GailV said...

How exciting!

I assume his training will be at one of the St. Louis airports. Which one?

Angelika said...

Good luck on your move. My own is only about a week away and I'm already rotating in every direction, decluttering, yard selling and so on. It's time to move again, like so often in our military life.

Free Range Chick said...

Wow, that is a big move. I wish you good luck and can't wait to see the posts about it.

Mental P Mama said...

Thanks for the visit and comments! WOW! It sounds to me like you and yours have your feet on the ground and your hearts right where they need to be. I wish you all the best. And anytime you need parentheses, well you just go right ahead;)

The Meitler Family said...

We sure are praying for you, my friend!!! We love you and miss you sooooooo much! Let's just pray we can see you in St. Louis. That a great prayer! :-)