Jan 14, 2010

Franken-gloves

My DH has been in dire need of good gloves. He asked me two YEARS ago to knit some for him. But alas, I COULD NOT find a normal pattern and was a little wary of making it up.

Finally, after watching him suffer last year in the 0 degree weather with his airplane prep...I decided to go for it....without a pattern.


It was knitting up well. I used a nice wool and when I had the wrist and thumb hole finished and half the hand done, I could see it was fine.





But then I figured wrong. You see...I divided the stitches between five fingers.
You have five fingers, right? So does he.



He just doesn't have a thumb AND five fingers.
I didn't notice until the second finger was done.
And then...there were just too many stitches left.



I have many friends who would have frogged it and begun again, but not me. I'd invested a year and half thinking about them ...and it was getting darn cold out there for my wonderful man.








So they became a little (OK, a Lot)mis-shapen, but certainly wearable.


I made the second glove perfectly.

When he puts his hands in them, you can't tell, very much. But when they are empty...they make me giggle.




One finger points out one way and the others go the other way...and the pinkie and forfinger clearly have way too much fabric.

Here's the thing:



He likes them.
He wears them all the time.


I can't wait to come home and see him (and his gloves).

I've spent a wonderful week with mom in CA and looking forward to home. Now, it would be perfect if I just didn't have to leave here to get there!!!!

3 comments:

Beth said...

They look great!

km said...

So glad he loves them! They look great.

Laura said...

I bow to your superior knitting skills! I would NEVER, EVER, EVER try to knit gloves without a pattern. You are my hero!