Jun 5, 2007

"A Chance to Die"

It's a book about Amy Carmichael, written by Elisabeth Elliot. The subtitle is "The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael". I finished it last week and I do recommend it!

The author is the wife of Jim Elliot, one of the guys who died in Equador trying to reach a violent tribe and tell them about Jesus. They killed Jim and his friends. "The End of the Spear" and "Through the Gates of Splendor" were books and movies of the events. Right after the murders Elisabeth went to live there amongst those who had killed her husband. She brought her little child. They built relational bridges and loved one another. She did it in obedience to God, not because she thought she or her husband had to complete a task for God. She did it to follow through in obedience to Him and leave the results to God. Her best book/movie on the subject is "Beyond the Gates of Splendor".

This book isn't about her but she has the credentials as a missionary and as a writer.

She wrote this book about Amy Carmichael who went to India to reach people for Jesus and ended up saving little girls from temple prostitution. I love the painting Elisabeth depicted of Amy: a woman who sought only after the Lord and to follow him implicitly. Amy was so very flawed and so very pure as well, a sinner who longed for God. As Elisabeth revealed Amy and her life I was reminded of David. David to whom much was given, who sinned much and whose heart and soul thirsted for the Lord. He was the apple of the Lord's eye, and I suspect Amy was too.

I am not certain I could have worked with her, but I am inspired by her.

Any other great Biographies you know? I'd love a recommendation.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I really want to borrow this! It's been on my Amazon list for ages. How are the brothers coming along?

Good Yarns said...

p 350 or so?

Tammy said...

You've been tagged... read my blog.

km said...

Another good biography is The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie ten Boom. I just wish I'd had the chance to meet her. When she lived in Orange County, she attended the church I now attend. It's too bad time seperated us. KM