Oct 11, 2008

I've got some!

I've got TWO WHOLE SKEINS of that Wollmeise. Tammy snagged several skeins and decided to share them with her "good yarns" friend. Look how beautiful...

My next step will be to completely ignore this yarn for the rest of my life, knowing that any pattern I find could never be just right for it.
Please, ....Help me to actually use this yarn. You can browbeat me and mock me all you want....just keep me from stashing it away forever.


I read the book Forsaken which just came out in the stores Oct 1, and decided it would be a fun read, although I am wary of those which are published in the Christian book market. It would be a quick read because the book was compared to the pacing of the show "24" which is like a roller coaster ride. I found it to be quick indeed and not terribly memorable except one thing: the author sets a character into an incredibly intriguing situation:
The character is the modern-day Billy Graham type...known worldwide as the face of evangelical Christianity, and his daughter is kidnapped. What the kidnappers want is for him to renounce Christianity at the biggest rally of his life so far....and the kidnappers tell all the newspapers that this is their request...or they will kill his daughter. So now...should he do it? Would you? Renounce Christianity? I think not...! But what if everyone knew you didn't mean it? Certainly Christ would know you didn't mean it...but no one else would believe it either. Hmm. This question has raised some theological questions for me. New ones. I am still thinking about it. What do you think?


The published actually sent me the book, Forsaken and also, the publisher of the Yarn Harlot's new book sent me a free copy of this one above, too. Those publishers like reviewers and me...I like books. Good arrangement, huh! This one just came in the mail yesterday so I don't have a review yet. But I can say that I like this book better than the last two she's written.

Another look:
It feels amazing. The colors are completely un-photograph able.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I dunno - socks? A shawl?

I'm glad to know Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's new book is a winner. I don't have a copy and am debating whether or not to buy one.

Lydee said...

the yarn is beautiful.
I didn't know you reviewed books; that's cool!

Tammy said...

I can't see some of your pictures! Forsaken sounds interesting. I'm glad to know that Free-Range is better than Stephanie's last couple of books. They were beginning to get a bit repetitive, and, quite frankly, I'm not feeling quite so in sync with the author these days.

Anonymous said...

I can see only 1/2 your pictures. Link check! :D

I would suggest a pattern like the one I'm doing called coffee beans, or this one would be fabu!!!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/show-off-stranded-socks

Free Range Chick said...

You sure do read a lot of Christian books. I'm still trying to finish the Red Tent on time. (sigh). I am jealous that you have a copy of Free Range Knitter already.

JILL said...

well, did you read the Yarn Harlot's book yet??

if and when you are done, i would love to borrow it!