Oct 13, 2008

More Books, and Noro Envy Socks

Here's my take on the book everyone seems to be reading:


It is a new look at some things that many people were too bored too look at, and many of us see every day, but could always use a fresh perspective on. The thing which is too mundane for many? God.
In "The Shack", William Young wanted to tell his children about God, with his worldview and biases, of course, in the mix. Most people who have "heard the Good News" and found it somewhat lacking might just open their eyes anew at this picture of Mr. Young's God. That is indeed good news. For them I say, read on...and find Him. You are introduced in this book to the Lord of all Creation, and the Lord of relationship (a word the author is quite fond of) and He is not misrepresented here in any way you need to fear. So begin the journey of knowing Him. Seek Him. He is there.
Nevertheless, people who have already turned to God have spent time learning about him through the bible, as well as experience with relationship with Him. Those people are wary that the God they know might be misrepresented by this new perspective. This is a healthy thing, for God is not to be put into a box of our own making. Young's perspective of God as relationship is true, and one which we people find hard to grasp within the Trinity and especially with the Holy Spirit. In the same way that Frank Peretti revealed a picture of the spirit world in "This Present Darkness" many years ago, "The Shack" reveals a picture of the trinity. For both, inaccuracies by be present but the picture is one which is broadening and having much truth. This is good.
The casual nature of God is very important to the author, who clearly has had some issues with the "establishments" of the church here on earth. Many of us do, because the church is made of people. People are sinful. However much they may want to lead and gather together in perfect harmony and purity...they are marked by sin and selfishness and by mixed motives. These things are the reality of church on earth. It makes us long for release from sin in heaven.
However, the church is indeed the bride of Christ. We cannot worship and fellowship and be in Young's "relationship" without do so in conjunction with others. In the same way that our earthy marriages hone us into better individuals through the rubbing against each other, perhaps we as members of the body will hone each other through such chafing. In this, William Young and I disagree.
Lastly, do all roads lead to God? No. Does the book really say that? I'm not so sure.

What do you think?


Here's what I am calling my Noro Envy Socks. It is made with Noro Kureyon Sock yarn, and the green is the color of Envy. I just made up that color, but those who have seen the Noro yarns know of which I speak....the green color embodies the green of envy.
I got the yarn a few months ago at Imagiknits in San Francisco. I am knitting them two at a time, toe-up:

I don't think the camera is able to pick up the colors very well, but you can see the one needle I am using to knit these. I have two balls of yarn, knitting with one ball for each sock.

I am using the magic loop method.

And these white stripes show my after-thought heel markers. When I am done with the socks up to the cuff, I go back to the heel, where the white stripe is and take out that white yarn, putting the socks back on the needles with live stitches. Then I knit the heels. Never done it before, but I think two at a time is good.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I am so glad to get to finally read your thoughts on "The Shack"! I agree so much with what you said. As you know, I struggled a bit through part of this book, but in the end found it quite challenging and encouraging. I have many pages marked that I go back to periodically as I think the author has a very intuitive understanding of human struggles and offers some real messages of comfort in Christ.

As for your socks. Wow! I can't wait to see them finished. The orangish part looks just like our sky today. Yep... Santa Ana's and fires. I just put a picture up on my blog, but it's getting much worse. :(

Laura said...

I did a pair of two-at-a-time-toe-up socks a few months ago! Are you enjoying them? I'm glad I knit mine, but it's not a pattern I'll likely do again.

I recently bought some Noro sock yarn and can't wait to knit socks with it!

lahodges said...

I just finished a Clapotis out of one of my skeins of Wollmeise. It's on my projects page if you want to take a look. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the review of The Shack. I haven't read it yet. I remember reading Frank Peretti's very scary The Oath years ago.

I look forward to seeing your finished socks. I didn't know you could make them with "afterthought heels."

Free Range Chick said...

I've still have to try the after thought heel. I'd love to see how yours turn out.

JILL said...

wow those socks are lookin good so far!
i remember when they were just toes!

keep up the good work!