Apr 25, 2008

Three Great Books

"A Daughter of the Land" is a book I read because my mother, down from my grandmother, passed this book on to me. I received it way back in my teenage years and I read it then. I found it harsh and depressing...the story of the 12th child, a daughter, who was expected to slave at home for her family while the other children received many comforts and wealth from their austere, but abundant farming family. Yuk.
I picked it up again when I was about thirty and re-read it, thinking maybe I had misjudged it. No, it was Yuk.
At a conference in 2006 the author of this book (Gene Stratton-Porter) was highly recommended for other works, which I then read... and ...LOVED. Her books now inspire my high recommendations and comments. Soo...I gave "A Daughter of the Land" another chance. It was humbling to realize that the book wasn't at fault before, it was me who hadn't yet grown up enough. Suffering was indeed still a theme, but so was hope and humbleness and loving in spite of disappointment. It was about forethought and wisdom and about the consequences of following foolishness, but it was not preachy. "Daughter" is not like her other works. It has a humanity which is more pronounced, and yet the nobility seems the richer for it. Read this book. Tell me what you think.


"Three Cups of Tea" is no sweet English fable. It is the true and mesmerizing story of a man who has lived through many recent events in the world. It gave me a feel for the mountains of Pakistan and the people who live there. It gave me a feel for how to work within a new community and culture. It was terrifying when the Taliban captured Greg and when they put a jihad against him. It mostly brought the people in Pakistan to my mind, and brought them to my mind in a human way. Again, the humanity of this book is what got me. Have you read it?

"Hinds Feet" is an old one for me. I felt like I needed to read it again. It was written in the mid-century while the author was in the Swiss Alps and is allegorical to the life of a Christian in the same way as "The Pilgrims Progress". It is definitely a book for those seeking the Lord.

Well, that's it for recommendations. These books have shaped me and I wanted to share them with you.

2 comments:

Lydee said...

Oooo! I love book reviews! I'm always staring at the library shelves wondering what is worth my time, so thanks.

The only one I've read was hinds feet, and I really like it. It's a good one to reread on occasion, espec when I feel dry or burned out. I'll have to look for the others you mentioned.

Anonymous said...

I need to read "daughter" again myself.