Jan 27, 2009

Butternut Soup and Ree's Dinner Rolls

How I love to make the recipes that Ree gives us on her "Confessions of a Pioneer Woman" Blog!
This week I made her Pot Roast again, and ohhhhh...this is so good.

I also made my own butternut squash soup:We make it often, so I though maybe you'd like to try it.
First turn your oven to 350. Cut two medium butternut squash into halves and place on cookie sheet, cut side down. Cook them for about 45 minutes, till very soft, and lightly browned on the flesh. Meanwhile...

Dice two medium onions.
Saute them in 3 TBs butter, adding 1 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/8 tsp nutmeg. Let it brown and get carmelized.

Then add 4 cups water and a quarter cup "Glory" brand chicken soup base, or any other you use. Even chx bullion would work. Simmer for a while till the squash cools enough to handle.

Scoop the butternut out of it's shell and dump it into the mixture. Let it simmer for a while...it'll break up as it mixes and heats into the broth. Add more liquid if you think it needs it.

When you are ready to serve, add 2-3 cups 2 percent milk. Then get your handy dandy hand blender and blend it till it thickens. The dairy in it makes it thicken with the hand blender.

Done! Serves maybe 8?
We like it so much I didn't stop to take a photo of the nicely filled bowl. I only got around to it later. (seethat first photo overhead). This is what the bowl looked like after someone finished their serving.
This next recipe was another photo failure. I meant to take a photo of the heaping, gorgeous pile of dinner rolls. We snatched them up so fast I only caught the last one before it was gobbled. This is Ree's recipe for dinner rolls; I hadn't made them before and wasn't sure I could do it. Baking hasn't been my strength. Maybe this is changing with such great recipes around. There was enough dough for three meals!!!!Let me know how it turns out if you make them?

2 comments:

Lydee said...

ooo, I will try the dinner rolls. I make butternut squash soup too, very similar to yours. I love it also. I'll check out ree's roast beef also. mine could use some help, thanks.

km said...

I've been eating the TJ's butternut squash soup. Because it was 'orange' I used it with 50% of the given packet to help along my kids mac-n-cheese. I wonder if they're ready for the real thing.

The dinner rolls look great. Have you made TPW Chicken Spaghetti. We tried that earlier this fall and now we've made it several times.