Jan 29, 2009

Snow day #2 and "Snow Cream"

Warning: if you aren't interested in an overly enthusiastic account of the snow, you'd better skip the words. I am smitten.

Pure powder snow for sledding on our second snow day. This is a local homeschooling mom's "secret place" and it was perfect! Here we are, ready to GO!
It is on a levee with fields all around us, gorgeous and pure white. When we moved here they were full of ready crops, colorful and full of promise. They've been dead and sad looking for two months, until now. The lights snows have nothing on this snow!

Here's #2 with the powder flying, and into her face! Soft and glorious!

#3 was all grins.
I forgot to mention the surprising part of the day: I sledded. Over and over, I just couldn't get enough. I had crusted snow all over my jeans and under my jacket on my sweater. My ear warmers and scarf were crusty. I LOVED IT! It was fast and soft and fun!

The train tracks down below is another picture in which I pretend I am a photographer...I just couldn't resist.

No manipulating of the image at all...this is straight out of the camera.

It was dusk and we were going home after hot chocolate and MacGyver re-runs at a friend's house and we crossed the tracks....I actually stopped and reversed in a very snowy road just to get this photo from the car. We didn't get stuck, thankfully. The same lovely homeschooling mom who took us to the secret place for sledding also sent out this recipe for "Snow Cream"
You gather one gallon of fresh snow. Then mix together 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla, thoroughly incoroporating the sugar. The pour all over the snow, mixing it very well. Eat...wonderful!OK, hopefully, I'll be a little less enthusiastic tomorrow. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Lucky. i wish we had snow.
Daniel

Tammy said...

Have we ever talked about train tracks? Ya gotta warn me about pictures like this.

km said...

Gorgeous! Fun! What a day. Wish we could visit.

Auntie Pudentaine said...

She warned you not to use yellow snow too, right? hehehe....

Lydee said...

you need some snow pants!
you should add some yellow food dye for fun :-)