Feb 12, 2008

Flocking and Lent


Yes, there were birds at the park, but it was the sheer number of people that was impressive. I've only seen that many people there for a big summer event, like a concert. It was two days ago, Sunday after lunch.

Lent is the time between Ash Wednesday and Easter and it has been historically recognized by the church as a time to mentally prepare for the resurrection of Jesus. Most Reformed churches have eschewed the "giving up something for Lent" practice of the Roman Catholic church. But I like it...and sometimes have done things especially to prepare my heart and mind. This year, I was mightily intrigued by Laura when she recounted what she did last year. She Rocked! She read the whole bible for Lent. Read about it here.
Well, Laura, I am going for it! The bible from now until Easter...here I go...

More play at the park.

Friends and family are so good for spending time on Sundays.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Great pictures! I'm encouraged by your Lent commitment. I agree that its observation is something we miss out on.

Free Range Chick said...

My religion doesn't observe Lent, but I've always tried to give up something bad for me anyways. I actually gave up my daily sodas years ago and now only have it when eating out or with vodka;)

Anyways, I like the idea of adding something good instead. I don't know if I can do the whole Bible, but I'll be thinking of something.