Feb 15, 2008

The World at Our Door

Please bear with me....I really want to share this with you:
The situation in Kenya is continuing with IDP's (Internally Displaced People) numbering the the hundreds of thousands and confusion and violence throughout. When I visited last year at this time of year, the elections were approaching and I spoke with a number of various people. They all mentioned the same concern: corruption. Corruption of the government was widespread, and yet peace persisted within that corruption. It seemed to be a give and take. They all were expressing reservations and concern over the upcoming election.

As the election results were revealed, there was widespread violence because the people were convinced that the election was rigged and that the winner was not really the winner. The people felt betrayed. The tribal lines within the culture became even more important because they were aligned with political beliefs as well. The Kikuyu were risen up against. Underlying tribal disagreements between all the tribes were brought to the front. People who had always been living in a peaceful country suddenly had enough and were ready to fight.

Atrocities have been committed. Many people have been murdered, many more have been kicked out of their villages because their tribe is no longer welcome there.

The stuff I just related to you is my own take, my own understanding of the situation. The NY Times wrote an article which tells of the current displacement. Read it here.

My own family has been undergoing changes for the last several years, leading up to something new: my husband is training to become a pilot for missionary organizations. He and I have been thinking about where we'll go when the training is over, assuming that it goes well. We'd been keeping Africa, and especially Kenya, in mind.

I loved it there. I left part of my heart there with the babies who'd been born with AIDS. I felt a connection to earth of Africa. I love the red soil and the green plants. I love the dark skin of the people. With the communication systems of the world, I hear first-hand accounts from people there. We see photojournalists first-hand view of the people. I hear their call, as people, for help. To you, I would ask that you would pray for these people.
This is a little stand in the streets of Nairobi, Kenya. A normal spot for selling the fruit of the land. I bet it is not there now.


Yes, I know there is so much going on in the world today. Maybe you've seen the poem about the Starfish ? This one is in my heart.

Who knows what the future will hold for my family. God only knows where He will send us. Maybe He'll keep us here in suburbia, or to Indonesia, or send us to another place entirely. That's fine with me. What is in my heart now is Kenya.

And so, from my heart to yours, please pray.
Pray for physical help, for those with resources to stand up and organize and find a way to meet the needs of the people. Please pray for the government situation to be resolved in a way that is right. This seems now impossible, or unlike. So I will pray for a miracle.

PS: The photos are mine from last year, before the country exploded into violence. Please check out THIS post and THIS one from a missionary aviator in Kenya.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Your heart for Kenya is beautiful. The compassion that fills you is a gift... and an encouragement to others who need more of it (like me).

I will be praying... for Kenya and for your family. Although I am selfishly hoping for God's plan to include a few more years for you in suburbia.

Anonymous said...

I love the post don't change a word

Anonymous said...

Last post was by DH who is very proud of his DW's blogging talents and Heart,
P.S. he is fortunate to have a DW who supports and encourages him so.

P.P.S.
can we return the shoes

dlyn said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - I come to see yours and am in awe! This post brought tears to my eyes. When I read of the unrest and agony in parts of Africa, it is always with a mother's heart - I cannot help but imagine what it must be like to be an African mother in the midst of these events. I will keep your family in my prayers as God leads you where He would have you be.