Mar 3, 2007

The Big Fisherman, Imitation, Rebecca and Hatshepsut


This book was loaned to me by a friend who had just finished it and said it was a must-read. I agree. Who would've thought the same old story could be so new? I was watching the whole thing with new eyes, relishing the simplicity of the events and seeing them through several different players' viewpoints. I highly recomment this book, especially with Easter coming soon.

I have also been looking into Thamas a Kempis's "The Imitation of Christ" which is mind-bogglingly simple and so very important to me. This version is re-wrtitten and updated by Harold J. Chadwick and I hope he didn't maul the original to come up with this gem. I don't think so, as he puts notes all over to describe what he did and why. You never know, though.

Lastly, I am scampering through "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" and wondering why I never got to this book as a child or a teenager. I thought I had read all the typical "girl lit" available for serious young ladies. I didn't know such a gaping hole existed until now. What a joy. I like Rebecca better than Anne and better than Laura. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Oh, and Kenya. I am bgoing to have the pics soon, and much more about it in this blog.

For now I have been absorbed in our history co-op's play on Ancient Egypt about Hatshepsut, the only major female pharaoh. Although the play has been overwhelming at times with rehersals, costumes, props and sets, I have loved it and I am so very glad that Rena has kept the momentum going with it.

Costuming has been such a joke at our house:
The picture on the right is an UPSIDE-DOWN sewing machine. I was so frustrated; the fabric we chose wouldn't work with the machine. New needles, nothing worked. I even tried to read the directions, Tammy! I upended it to try to fix it, and suddenly the hilarity of the situation struck me, relieving much tension.
We sewed by hand. Done. Four egyptian costumes finished. Tomorrow is the day. All four kids are in it, and are having fun!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

"Tried" to read the directions? I think you should have let your sweet daughter take over. lol

When you're done with Rebecca, I'll give you Mother Carey's Chickens by the same author to read. You'll enjoy it.