Sep 26, 2007

Homeschooling Bliss

This is why I love homeschooling with great books:















The Courage of Sarah Noble is one of those books that makes me wonder how it all came together. It was easy to read for these girls, young as they are. We got so much out of the story. The illustrations, themes, relationship models and cultural exploration were all worthy and FUN! For our club meeting we made log cabin houses, Indian houses, played 'the pebble game' from the book, made and ate homemade corn cakes and spent lots of time talking about the book. Half the girls listed it as their favorite book ever. Not only all that, but this was a group effort, with 3 moms pulling together for these 12 girls, and 3 older siblings serving as wonderful helpers, too! Satisfaction.














I invited myself over to a friend's house last night to watch House (no TV here) and had a great time, but something was definitely missing for me in the show. He NEEDS to hire people. He may think he can push everybody away, but WE know better: for him to have a life worth watching, he needs people.

On a knitting note, a descendant of Sarah Noble gave us a little history lesson when we read her writings on duties of an eight-year-old in 1700; they would be in charge of knitting socks for the WHOLE FAMILY. Wow. It was a good chance to show off my own socks.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm glad all went well today! I want the sock knitting job!

And you didn't invite yourself... you were a most welcome guest! Nobody else understand House like we do. And nobody else would appreciate that the blue in my House socks matches the blue in his eyes. Just saying.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! The TYC is finished (whew!) and now onto other things. Your Easy Flame Lace Scarf looks so much better than mine. I'm thinking of ripping and using the lace for something else.