Jan 10, 2008

Moby Dick Almost Killed me

cash advance


(I can't believe I never finished this post!!!! I just found it in my drafts folder from 11/15/07 - oops)

Yes, Moby Dick did almost kill me. It was NOT a joyous addition to my literary education. It was a knock-down drag-out war just to finish the weighty tome. Really. I would fight with myself just to convince myself to get through every page.

WHY?????? Why would I do this to myself? Well, it didn't start out that way. I picked it up with the thought of investing a little in the beginning, you know - pushing into the beginning a bit until the story really got going. So I pushed a little. It was fun at first, with plot furthering itself fairly quickly. Then it got bad; stupid. So I pushed some more. It was ponderous, with many long, hulking discussions of whales in general and whaling in general and many inane ideas and descriptions. So why didn't I stop????? WHY??? Silly me, I thought I had invested so much by then (half-way through!) that I couldn't stop. I started skimming the longest descriptive portions. Sue me. But I persevered. I did finish it. I emerged out of the watery depths with the famous whale and rejoiced in the killing of Ahab. At least his death meant the book was over. Thankfully.

Oh, and did you SEE the blog level I reached up there at the top of this post??? I was intrigued by Donna's Quiet Life when she posted about her blog's reading level. I thought it was so funny. She writes so very well.

When I received the reading level of genius, I laughed. I did actually test as genius when I was young, but I can't think very well , or remember anything of value anymore. I am actually the best joke around the house. It is sad, but true.

Anyway, I decided to make this post sound like it had a genius reading level. How'd I do?

Oh, and don't pick up Moby Dick. You'll be sorry...



2 comments:

Free Range Chick said...

You are a braver woman than I. Moby Dick freaks me out a little. Not the whale, but the book. Good to know though. There is nothing worst than struggling through a book in hopes that it will get better.

Tammy said...

LOL - I've tested my blog before... and no, I didn't post the results. I'll leave it at that. Your post however is one to be highly regarded.

I was "genius" material too as a kid with some freakishly high IQ... thus my lack of faith in the IQ test as a whole. ;) I loved Donna's Einstein quote a little while back about how he wasn't that smart, he was just willing to stick to a problem longer.