Jan 17, 2008

Spiders and Foliage


This is what #2 saw when I asked her to come sit by me. The view you see here does not in any way reresent the huge, gargantuan nature of this BLACK WIDOW. I was sitting here:

And Knitting and listening to a book on tape and she saw it right there between the wall and that end table. I went quickly into action, admonishing my four terrified children to "stay!" and wait for their heroic mother to quell this foe with decisive action. Ok, they weren't afraid, but I did quickly get the hair spray and kill this beastie. I then took it outside to get a photo of it's red belly for you all to see. It didn't cooperate. It was all shriveled up and looking mighty timid and...well, dead.

This is what I began last night at 9:30. It's the Foliage hat pattern from Knitty Fall 2007 using Malabrigo Chunky. It is very quick. And nice. Two of the beasties here are vying for it when it is done. I wonder, though, if it will really get any wear here in windy, oops I mean sunny California.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

A houseguest... how lovely. Can't wait to see your Foliage

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That is a huge black widow. Creepy. Eww. Yuck.

I recently knit Foliage and really enjoyed it. Yours is coming along great!

Tammy said...

Get dressed up. You just got an award on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I literally got the chills! Blech! Brings back memories. I used to have to go get wood in the backyard for our wood stove and saw so many spiders and know I saw a few black widows a few times. Yikes!

I do not miss the bugs. I mean, it's wicked cold here and I do get tired of winter but we never ever have spiders in the house. Okay... we maybe find one per year! LOL

So are you in the Bay Area? I grew up in Hayward.

Happily Knit said...

I just threw my laptop...spiders seem to pervade all of my interest, even knitting. Sigh.