Jan 15, 2008

Spiral Ribbing fun

This is the first sock finished. The yarn is Dream In Color "Smooshy" in Chinatown Apple colorway. I do like the pattern and yarn.



This is what it looked like when it came to me from The Loopy Ewe:


This is what it looked like when I wound it by hand. I don't know about you, but I really enjoy the way yarn feels and looks when I roll it by hand. Yes, the yarn swift and yarn ball-maker are so wonderful. It's just that I don't like to use them. LOOK at that ball. Does it do anything for you, too?

And now I will tell you about another quirk of mine with yarn.

I SMELL it.

Always.

I just received a new skein from a lovely friend as a gift and oh, it was beautiful and soft. The color is so rich. I can admire it on so many levels, but ....until i sniff it, I do not KNOW the yarn. Sniffing somehow makes it real to me. Yeah. I guess it is weird. Please, don't laugh too hard. Anyway, here is the yarn:

It is merino and silk. mmmmm!

Oh, the pattern for the Spiral Ribbing Socks is from More Sensational Socks by Charlene Schurch.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hey! I bought two skeins of Smooshy back in November for my family to give me for Christmas! I haven't knit with it yet, but your socks look yummy, so I hope I'll like mine!

I sniff yarn, too. After all, if it stinks, why buy it? And if it still has traces of lanolin, I love that sheepy smell!

Free Range Chick said...

I also sniff yarn. Knitting is a 6 senses thing. They even make yarn out of bananas (and you eat bananas - not yarn though!)

I also like to hand roll my own yarn. I was at my LYS and people kept asking me if I know how to use the swift. But, it is so much more fun to see how your ball will look with the different fibers and weights when you hand roll it.

Donna Boucher said...

I love to sniff my yarn too :o)
Your socks are beautiful!

Tammy said...

Sorry, but neither the smell nor the hand-wound ball do much for me... but I LOVE those socks!